AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Timeout issue again. Help please.  (Read 9112 times)

Storm

• KuwaitStorm
Re: Timeout issue again. Help please.
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 11:43:03 PM »
Already did. To about 8 days ago.

Storm

• KuwaitStorm
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 12:39:09 AM »
Well problem solved. Im not sure if you are aware of this but a major submarine fiber optic was cut reacently in the Medditeranian between Egypt and Italy. So I ran it a few mintues with network off and that solved it. Working pefrectly now.

So for all you future people with this problem ask yourself this...is there a major internet outage? If so turn the network off till the internet is back up.

daveH

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 07:27:37 PM »
Hi,
I am a new member so maybe my question is simply something I,m doing or not as the case might be.
I live on the main flight path into Stansted and can track all aircraft around this part of the country wether it be via hardware or network. the problem is that all aircraft that fly virtually overhead 'TIMEOUT' after approx 5/6 miles and I lose them well before touchdown. This doesn,t happen with aircraft at a distance. Is it normal or am I doing something wrong.

besty

• County Durham, Land of the Prince Bishops
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 07:34:48 PM »
hello mate sounds like you're aerial is obstructed by something in the direction of the runway, if the distant stuff is ok and only flights into Stanstead are affected try moving your aerial to a different spot and getting it higher would help too.

hope this helps
Stuart

Fenris

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 10:05:54 AM »
Well problem solved. Im not sure if you are aware of this but a major submarine fiber optic was cut reacently in the Medditeranian between Egypt and Italy. So I ran it a few mintues with network off and that solved it. Working pefrectly now.

So for all you future people with this problem ask yourself this...is there a major internet outage? If so turn the network off till the internet is back up.

From my perspective, Airnav should code the network interface so that if there is a connectivity problem of any sort it does not hang the software but instead simply times out and then retries occasionally. It's not good practice to have an external influence not under the user's control able to break the local functions in this way.

Storm

• KuwaitStorm
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 11:47:14 AM »

From my perspective, Airnav should code the network interface so that if there is a connectivity problem of any sort it does not hang the software but instead simply times out and then retries occasionally. It's not good practice to have an external influence not under the user's control able to break the local functions in this way.

+1 Agreed. Due to some cable issue I have to halve my DSL speed now and since about 10 people are using the same connection on half the speed now it takes about 10 seconds to download the network data. During those 10 seconds all activity stops on my ANRB until it downloads. However, I'm not getting the timeout issue anymore since it downloads the data within 10 seconds.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 01:01:02 PM »
It is coded like that Fenris, but in Storms case it looked like he did have connection but it was taking extremely long causing it overload.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Fenris

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 03:50:42 PM »
It is coded like that Fenris, but in Storms case it looked like he did have connection but it was taking extremely long causing it overload.

Interesting. I would expect a background thread to handle the network traffic, putting the records onto the main queue as they are downloaded from where another thread would pick them up for display. If the network thread then blocks, you don't see any effect on the main display and UI threads.