AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SBS-1 verses RadarBox  (Read 17538 times)

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
SBS-1 verses RadarBox
« on: December 19, 2008, 09:57:02 AM »
There is an interesting - but moderated - discussion on this topic in the other forum.  User peterfinn has been trying to get some sensible answers without much luck and has been advised to come here to discuss this.

peterfinn, if you are on the forum, we're here to help you :-)

abrad41

Re: SBS-1 verses RadarBox
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 11:04:18 AM »
If you are there Peterfinn

Welcome to the forum mate, ask away we are here to help:-)

Cheers

Andy

pcochrane12

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 06:31:18 PM »
we dont bit so ask away may not be able to answer but hey we'll try
welcome aboard if your here
cheers paul
ps merry christmas and happy new year to all

Allocator

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 10:16:12 AM »
I'll send Peter a PM on the other forum :-)

Allocator

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 02:11:32 PM »
I guess that Peter won't be visiting, as on the other forum he says he is "100% sold on the SBS"

I think that he might be disappointed - oh well, his decision.

peterfinn

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 02:27:12 PM »
Many thanks to all.
I have NOT bought SBS-1 because (a) I run a Mac and will need to get a laptop running Vista, preferably with 17" screen, which will be pricey and will take time, and (b) because there are still niggling doubts in my mind as to whether I am doing the right thing.

I rather trusted David Taylor's obvious interest in SBS-1 but I believe this is really because Radarbox was not available to him at the time.

It seems one could argue one way or the other for a long while because both are obviously extremely good.  Any further comments?  There's still time!
Peter ( [email protected] )

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 02:38:02 PM »
Peter, I think you'll find that a lot of people have switched from an SBS-1 to a Radarbox, but I'm not aware of anyone switching from Radarbox to an SBS-1.

For my own comparison of actually using an SBS-1 and a Radarbox, see http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1379.msg10463#msg10463
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 02:41:27 PM by tarbat »

Allocator

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 02:40:59 PM »
Hi Peter, welcome to the "other side!"

There a quite a few of use here either using both boxes, or now using a RadarBox as a replacement for an SBS-1.  I won't bore you with the details as I'm sure that you've done loads of research, but for me there are a few key points that make me choose the RadarBox:

- AirNav are still providing software development rather than using software that is essentially 18 months old

- You don't need a load of 3rd party add on software programs to get up and running

- The RadarBox Network.  You might not think that you need it now, but see what happens here on the forum when the Network goes down for an hour :-0

- Worldwide mapping, so you can easily look at any part of the world

- RadarBox provides a comprehensive alert function

And last, but not least, we're a happy bunch of forum members here and we all talk about what we like without the threat of "Big Brother" coming down like a ton of bricks :-)

Anyway, do feel free to ask any questions here and you'll get answers warts and all!

All the best

Allocator

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 02:58:14 PM »
Hi Peter,

Other than the comparison pdf above, We can only state the facts which is:

1.) RadarBox is outselling SBS by a large margin.
2.) We are getting people move over from SBS to RadarBox
3.) If its a money thats a factor we are 10% cheaper than the SBS
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Blackthorn

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 04:28:13 PM »
Welcome to the forum Peter

I am an ex SBS-1 user and like so many others here can talk with experience of both. The Radarbox has a much better software interface which is continually being developed by Airnav who seem to listen to forum feedback.

In my location the Radar box is more sensitive but I don't use the supplied magmount prefering the old Kinetic SBS-1 antenna.

There are a few small issues with the software but hopefully an update in the New Year will solve some of those.

This forum has some knowledgable and helpful members like Tarbat and Allocator who I am sure will try to answer any more technical issues you have, along with Airnav Support. You can mention the SBS-1 and nobody will jump on you ;-)

One important point is that Radarbox is addictive, SBS-1 never was for me.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 04:52:20 PM »
It seems as though Peter's going to the Dark-side.....................

http://www.kinetic-avionics.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8625
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Blackthorn

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 06:19:29 PM »
We all make mistakes and thankfully its a free world :-)

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 07:49:23 PM »
We have emailed this user directly. We strongly believe that the only reason for someone, nowadays, to buy from our competition is by not knowing what RadarBox can do and how our community is. We hope he will not make a bad decision.

Basically in our opinion:

1- SBS-1 is an old system, the latest version of the software (with real important updates) has been released more than 2 years ago; AirNav RadarBox software is updated often and adds users suggestions.

2- SBS-1 was developed 3 years ago for enthusiasts. AirNav has technology being used by major Airlines and Airports all over the world.

3- With SBS you can only see what you antenna receives. With RadarBox you see what you receive plus what all other users receive (for example you see flights landing in Tokyo, London, Sydney, Paris).

4- With RadarBox with have an open and friendly community answering your questions several times per day. (not an employee from Kinetic Avionics trying to get one more sale)

5- RadarBox is cheaper;

6- RadarBox is growing: we sell 4 times more than of SBS-1. This clearly shows we are better and users prefer our product.

7- RadarBox data is real-time and you see real-time photos of received aircraft.

8- You don't need to install difficult and unreliable patches to get the most out of the software .

Tramline

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 01:25:26 AM »
We have emailed this user directly. We strongly believe that the only reason for someone, nowadays, to buy from our competition is by not knowing what RadarBox can do and how our community is. We hope he will not make a bad decision.

Basically in our opinion:

1- SBS-1 is an old system, the latest version of the software (with real important updates) has been released more than 2 years ago; AirNav RadarBox software is updated often and adds users suggestions.

2- SBS-1 was developed 3 years ago for enthusiasts. AirNav has technology being used by major Airlines and Airports all over the world.

3- With SBS you can only see what you antenna receives. With RadarBox you see what you receive plus what all other users receive (for example you see flights landing in Tokyo, London, Sydney, Paris).

4- With RadarBox with have an open and friendly community answering your questions several times per day. (not an employee from Kinetic Avionics trying to get one more sale)

5- RadarBox is cheaper;

6- RadarBox is growing: we sell 4 times more than of SBS-1. This clearly shows we are better and users prefer our product.

7- RadarBox data is real-time and you see real-time photos of received aircraft.

8- You don't need to install difficult and unreliable patches to get the most out of the software .

I looked at both systems.  I chose Radar Box.  I know I made the correct decision and can only echo comments about the friendly support via the Forum whether it be AirNav themselves or other RB users.   I'm still to get the best out of RB purely because I'm a new user and I need more time just to 'play' with the settings but for me it's excellent.  Living just a few miles South of LHR, using the supplied antenna on an inside window cill, I can see A/c arriving and departing LHR and LGW plus pick up the overhead traffic.   I'm still to experiment with different locations within the house but I was upto 32 A/c simply by sitting in my bedroom that looked North.  The addition of Networked A/c filled my screen further.  The Alert system, although not 100% is still very, very good and has added so much to the enjoyment of my hobby.   I can't recommend Radar Box highly enough.
Located 2 miles South of LHR.

Terry

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 12:51:06 PM »
Hi there Peterfin,
                         All i can  say to you is,all the above are very valid comments, and do get all the facts for and against then choose which unit suits your needs.Its YOUR money to do with as you wish.
I used the SBS1 for 2 yrs then got tired of downloading 3rd party software,which as you well know is not directly from the manufacturer but their users.When i looked at the RB it was perfect for my needs,all in one box very good back up from AirNav and brilliant forum where you can be as open as you like and get the help and SUPPORT very quickly with other users and AirNav themselves,not with SBS,by this i mean the Kinetic team.Also i have noted that there was a comment that SBS is more sensitive than the RB,my own experience is quite the reverse,i will give you my personal opinion.

SBS -Distance   235nm         RB-Distance  268nm    peak distance 287nm
       local aircraft     250 max       local aircraft  410 average

This is using the same antenna and pre-amp which was designed for the SBS so as you can see FOR ME the RB suits my needs,and as i said its YOUR MONEY AND YOUR CHOICE,i feel now as i`ve wasted nearly £1K but at the time that was my choice,should have waited,but boys and their toys as they say?