AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "File" menu options not available  (Read 38272 times)

Blackthorn

Re: "File" menu options not available
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 01:28:17 PM »
No, not anymore.

9M-ISJ

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 08:28:09 AM »
I have AVG.

This Windows box is far from high spec, it is used only for RB (SBS in the dark old days before I saw the light). Think it cost GB 299.00 incl VAT.

It is a pretty basic DELL (AMD 64 dual 991htz processors, 2gig RAM, no video card and no sound card)

I use Macs for everything else including running my business

Paul

Blackthorn

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 08:57:46 AM »
Hi Paul

I completed the test yesterday with no other applications running on the PC, all power saving options off etc and the menus still locked up after 6 hours use so I will restart the program every couple of hours until Airnav follow it up. I do not like having to crash out of a running program.

I am interested in making the switch to the Macs and just using one PC for the radio hobby.

Kevin

dudbaker

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 09:39:26 AM »
Hi

I have just done the AVG fix and thing seem ok.  Prior to that I used to unplug the modem, for a few seconds, when things got slow.  Neat because I did not have to reboot RB.

Dudley
Dudley Baker
Stansted
G8THH
[email protected]
Valiant, Victor, Shackelton, Canberra, VC10, Tornado Typhoon 737 747 A320 A300 Engineer.

9M-ISJ

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 10:00:50 AM »
Hi,

I still tend to run it for a couple of days between restarts, it is a pain that this row of shortcuts becomes unavailable but not the end of the world.

I shut it down with the red X in the top right, or right clicking on the program 'sausage' in the bar at the bottom of the screen.

I would say to anybody thinking of switching to Macs for other 'everyday' computer uses,,, DO IT!!! Life on a Mac is SO MUCH EASIER AND BETTER (and even RB and such can be run on a Mac using a vertual machine set up such as Parallels - I run RB and all my other 'pc only apps' on my Macbook Pro this way when traveling)

People hold off switching because they think they will have to 'learn' a new OS... it will take no more than a couple of hours to get to grips with Mac,, and a week or two to discover all of its hiden gems. Once you have, you will never look at a Windows box the same

GlynH

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 09:36:33 AM »
Well, sort of.  They have said that it is "rare, and affects very few users, mainly those with high-spec machines".  The last I heard from support was on the 2nd October, so I don't really know if they're still working on it, or have given up.

DC

Hey DC,

Long time no speak to...

And I thought it was just me...I also have heard nothing since the end of September/beginnning of October.

I have solved my menu problem though...I just don't use it any more! :-)

Hope you are keeping well DC.

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Deadcalm

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 09:42:11 AM »
Wotcher, Glyn.  Yes, still surviving, thanks.

You don't use your RB, or you don't use the menus?  I've tended just to have it running, and leave it alone, as attempting to use the menus is hit-and-miss, and generally a pain, and minimising is a pain as well, as it won't always restore.

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 11:25:39 PM »
I have AVG.
Have you setup exceptions in AVG for both Program Files and the Virtual Store (Vista only) as per the FAQ?   See http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1764.0

9M-ISJ

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2008, 08:59:41 PM »

and minimising is a pain as well, as it won't always restore.

DC

Well I wasnt going to say anything..... but I get that bug too! Annoying isnt it?! (Not a massive issue - I just dont EVER minimise the prog)

And yes, I do have the AVG thing done

freqhopping

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 12:32:17 AM »
Back to this topic since I continue to have this issue and some others. 

My computer is certainly not high spec.  Dell Inspiron 600m, 1.8 Ghz Pentium, 1 GB RAM, Windows XP Home Edition.

The other issue that I've always had is like with the one already discussed, after running for a while I lose my internet connectivity.  The only way to restore it is to close AirNav. 

The newest issue I've noticed is the FlightIDs in the log that is emailed to me.  One example from today is 99-0004 which was SAM-4242 (displayed S4242).  The ID in the log was AF2 (Air Force-2) which is what is has been in the past.  Since it was last AF2 it has had several other SAM IDs.  In MyLog is correctly lists all the FlightIDs.

I've noticed several instances of these emailed FlightIDs not being current.

bratters

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 10:00:09 AM »
I'm a member of this club as well: occasional non-functioning or freezing of some menu items. I put it down to insufficient RAM on my PC when things get busy and it's always been a temporary rather than semi-permanent glitch.

My other annoyance for which I have no answer is that the box will suddenly cut out for absolutely no apparent reason - often when the PC is unattended.
The yellow power light remains on and the blue light flashes balefully every few seconds. Ugh.
I suspect, in fact I'm sure, it's a USB problem and the link is suddenly lost. I have checked all the usual suspects but now just live with it.

Oh the joys of technology

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 10:37:57 AM »
One thing that I find helps when dealing with menus is to use the keyboard rather than the mouse - for example Alt-F followed by D for Database Explorer, Alt-M followed by C for map colours, etc.

RB responds instantly to the keyboard.

Rod
Rod

Falcon

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2009, 10:13:23 PM »
Well, sort of.  They have said that it is "rare, and affects very few users, mainly those with high-spec machines".  The last I heard from support was on the 2nd October, so I don't really know if they're still working on it, or have given up.

DC

I am having the issue as described by other members in this thread. Now what really annoys me is that AirNav Support used the exact same line in regards to another issue with the e-mail alert feature not working for some. If its not affecting the majority "who cares". They may get around to fixing it, then again they may not. What type of support is this?

There is an issue here regarding menu selection. I can sum this up in two words.

"Fix It"

I am more than willing to be patient in helping to diagnose a problem, but once again another issue appears to have been ignored and quietly buried.

If you need any information from me to help you diagnose this issue just let me know. I am more than willing to help.

"Mainly users with high spec machines"...jeeez...what type of diagnosis is that let alone a solution?

I can't even believe based on the posts and reports here that it hasn't been replied to in a professional matter acknowledging paying customers concerns and issues.

Ya...I'm upset. The radarbox isn't a dollar store item.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2009, 10:18:44 PM »
Falcon,

We have said in the threads regarding the next version that this will be looked and hopefully fixed.

Regarding not replying, this forum is NOT a support forum. There a dozens of posts posted every day, we do out best to read all of them and reply but the proper and correct method is getting in touch with us via the ticket system.

We reply to many posts like this almost instantly which is a Professional and courteous service.
Your email alert is a different story and mentioning here to try and twist our arm into it does not help, as we have explained many times on the forum we need to look at requests such as that by how many customers it affects, time it will take to create, cost and then prioritize the ones which come out top.

Hope that explains things.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 10:21:41 PM by AirNav Support »
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Falcon

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2009, 10:34:03 PM »
Your email alert is a different story and mentioning here to try and twist our arm into it does not help

Ummm...that is not why I mentioned it. I mentioned it to further demonstrate your non-committal attitude to glaring issues and how you handle them. If I was going to try and "twist your arm" any further regarding that issue, I would do so in the appropriate thread.

I'll consider replying to the rest of your response later, but this was just too much for me to walk away from.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 10:40:18 PM by Falcon »