AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Antenna change - polar diagram  (Read 8417 times)

Deadcalm

Antenna change - polar diagram
« on: December 08, 2008, 03:57:13 PM »
Having suffered some water ingress problems with my Wimo antenna, I decided to get hold of a BS1100 (with AS1100 Hi-gain whip) to tide me over whilst I waited for Wimo to sort me out a replacement.  I thought the Wimo was good, but the BS1100 has extended my range even further (pre-amp used with both), so I'm quite chuffed.

DC

Go around, I say again go around...

mt007

• PGAv - Portugalia Airlines Virtual
Re: Antenna change - polar diagram
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 05:22:58 PM »
Dead,
is amazing!!!!
Great job.
Regards.
Miguel Teixeira
Oeiras, Portugal

flightchecker

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 05:27:04 PM »
Hi Deadcalm,
it's me again, Karl. We "met" some time ago when it was about your "drowned" GP 1090 as above.

Do you think, you could generate two overlayed polardiagrams with both of the antennas (one after the other, about the same plotting time, about same time period of day) you're refering to? The longer in time the better, as statistics will take care for an almost "equal opportunity data gathering".  Would it make easier to judge then.

Kind regards

Karl
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 05:53:35 PM by flightchecker »

Deadcalm

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
Hello again, Karl

I can do this eventually, as I sent the "leaky" antenna back to Wimo last week and I await a replacement.  When it arrives (and we get a dry day which isn't freezing cold!) I'll put the Wimo back up and do as you suggest.

I did do this polar diagram earlier this year, with the Wimo, and you can see the difference...

DC

Go around, I say again go around...

flightchecker

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 06:01:52 PM »
My goodness: you're fast !!!! DC,

Would be great if you could proceed as suggested. I've done similar with my GP1090 and a SIRIO 2000 (discone)
Overlaying two polar diagrams (maybe even by using different colours, making it easier to distinguish) is an exellent approach in evaluating different antennas. The longer the plotting intervals the better. "Statistics", as said before

Kind regards

Karl
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 06:36:32 PM by flightchecker »