AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Using radarbox on the road  (Read 4965 times)

mjleprix

Using radarbox on the road
« on: November 28, 2008, 05:52:39 PM »
Hi guys - What is the best way to use radarbox whilst at the airports etc as when I use it on the battery it runs out after about 45 mins- Do you use a car battery attachment  or what solutions does anyone recommend?

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
Re: Using radarbox on the road
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 07:16:21 PM »
I use a car emergency starter unit/power supply. It has a sealed, lead acid 20AH battery in it. It can be charged from the car or the mains and has a cigar lighter outlet into which I plug a portable power supply unit to run the laptop. I get about three hours on the starter/unit  then a further one and a half hours on the laptop's own battery.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

mjleprix

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 10:35:45 PM »
Thanks Tom, any others gems welcome. How long would you get on your car battery before it went flat ?

Wayne

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 07:34:50 AM »
I have always used an in car charger that runs directly off the cigarette lighter. I bought it from Maplins and it seems to do the job. I occasionally start the car just to make sure though but I have not had any problems yet !

Wayne

mjleprix

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 10:37:56 AM »
Again, thanks for the input,Wayne

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 04:07:05 PM »
How long would you get on your car battery before it went flat ?

Hi Mike, the simple answer is "How long is a piece of string?"!    It depends on the car - small petrol or big diesel, and condition of battery - if 5 yrs old and knackered - not long, if like my 405TD, an almost new, very HD 096 battery, probably 12 hours before needing to start and give the battery a boost.    I would suggest, give it 2-3 hours, start up and run for 10 mins, if sluggish to start cut time back - if it spins up well, try extending time by an hour at a time.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

mjleprix

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 10:45:08 PM »
Great stuff now we have a variety of helpful solutions. Well done, guys!
Eternally grateful, especially as my laptop battery has just expired.
Mike