AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RadarBox24.com Change Account Email  (Read 16458 times)

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
RadarBox24.com Change Account Email
« on: March 15, 2018, 05:13:39 PM »
Hi guys, I'm back :)

I've just 'rediscovered' RadarBox24.com and I'm now feeding data using a Raspberry Pi and it's all working very nicely.

However, in the years that have passed since I originally registered, I've changed email addresses.  Having gone through all the account options in the RadarBox24.com interface, I can't find any way of changing the address.

I tried creating a new free account and associating the Raspberry Pi with the new account, but of course it says that the sharing code is already in use.  I can't see any way of disassociating the Rpi feed from the old account (nor can I delete the RadarBox that I used to feed with).

I suppose I could delete the sharing key on the Rpi and let it generate a new key, but that seems a bit of a drastic solution and I would loose my sharing statistics.

I did send a help request via the form on the RadarBox24 site, but the answer probably went to my old email.  Have now emailed support directly and have received an auto acknowledgement so maybe I'll get the answer that way.

I'm also feeding FlightAware and FlightRadar24 - three Rpi's, three antennas and ethernet cable everywhere.  Hope that doesn't make be a bad person :)

It's very interesting to see what each of the services actually shows on the screen.  FlightAware and FlightRadar24 are missing most of the traffic I'm interested in, so it's RadarBox24 that's permanently on display.

Runway 31

Re: RadarBox24.com Change Account Email
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 06:43:16 PM »
Hi Allocator

Welcome back

I would imagine that you will need to wait on support to answer your query and hopefully come up with a solution

tommyg

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 08:45:52 PM »
Welcome back. Wondered where you had got to! :)
Tommyg

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 12:39:57 AM »
Hi Allocator - welcome back from me too!

Your contributions were always significant and positive, so it will be great to have you on board again.

Hope to hear more from you on the forum.
Rod

Allocator

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 09:04:50 AM »
Finally retired in 2012 after 35 years of military air traffic control service ending up at the Military Air Accident Investigation Branch at Farnborough.  Not quite sure where the time has gone since I retired, but I haven't had time to get bored!

Runway 31

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 09:49:46 AM »
I know what you mean Allocator, I retired in 2010, sometimes I wonder how I found time to work!

Alan

Allocator

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 10:02:52 AM »
OK, it looks like support has sorted me out and updated my email address and associated my Rpi feeder with that account so all is good :)

Allocator

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 10:16:34 AM »
I even managed to get my 15 minutes of fame researching and appearing in all 6 episodes of WW2 Air Crash Detectives.  I think they described me as the 'Aviation Safety Expert'

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfnvSnvjBIXIHHU78quEsDA

Runway 31

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 10:31:22 AM »
Just as well I am not into the celebrity culture!!

Alan

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 06:53:41 AM »
Hi guys, I'm back :)

WELCOME BACK

I'm also feeding FlightAware and FlightRadar24 - three Rpi's, three antennas and ethernet cable everywhere.

Just out of curiosity, you said you have 3 RPi's and feed 3 sites (RadarBox24, FlightAware & FlightRadar24).
Do you mean each of your Pi feeds only one site (one Pi one site)?

I also have 3 Pi's, 3 Antennas, 3 DVB-T dongles, and from each Pi I feed 4 sites (RB24, FR24, FA, and Planefinder).

PI # | RadarBox24 Stn | FlightAware Stn | FlightRadar24 Stn | PlaneFinder Stn |
1 EXTRPI000008 5252 T-CYYZ9 87806
2 EXTRPI0000356396T-CYYZ2187809
3 EXTRPI00004376000T-CYYZ3091995

Allocator

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 03:12:30 PM »
Yes, each pi feeds just one site.  I did setup an image that fed both FlightAware and FlightRadar24 but the range for both decreased significantly even though it was a pi 3 I was using.

I’ve still got the image on an SD card so I will experiment again, but I’m happy with one feed per pi.

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 05:17:26 PM »
Yes, each pi feeds just one site.  I did setup an image that fed both FlightAware and FlightRadar24 but the range for both decreased significantly even though it was a pi 3 I was using.

I’ve still got the image on an SD card so I will experiment again, but I’m happy with one feed per pi.

(1) Decoder Software and Gain Settings
Which decoder software you use? Dump1090-mutability v1.14 (provided by Flightradar24) or dump1090-fa (provided by Flightaware).
You can confirm this from output of following commands to Pi:
Code: [Select]
apt-cache policy dump1090-fa

apt-cache policy dump1090-mutability

In the FR24 supplied dump1090-mutability v1.14, by default the gain is set to "max" which is 49.6 dB.
In the FA supplied dump1090-fa, by default the gain is set to "-10" which translate to AGC.

Try different  gain values like 50, 45, 40, 35, 30. It can make a difference if you are using an RF amplifier or a dongle with built-in RF amp like Flightaware Pro Stick.

(2) Interfering RF Signals
In areas with strong Mobile/Cell Phone signals in the vacinity of 1090 MHz, adding a filter between antenna and the DVB-T Dongle improves receptions . In my area I have two Mobile/Cell Phone bands. GSM850 band (centered on 850 Mhz) and E-GSM900 (centered on 900 MHz). These signals overloaded the dongle and made it nearly deaf to weaker 1090 MHz signal. After I added a 1090MHz filter, performance improved greatly. Here is the RF Scan at my location showing these interfering signals. This scan was done using method described in OPTION-2 of this thread:

Do I Need A Filter?

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 05:22:07 PM by abcd567 »

Allocator

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 05:23:43 PM »
Thanks for the info, I’ll take another look at this when I get time.

Allocator

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 12:50:15 PM »
Very interesting.  Just a short scan at the moment using a tiny antenna indoors, but it definitely looks like I've got a strong cell phone signal showing.  I had assumed that living out in the country I wouldn't need a filter.  I've got a selection of USB receivers, 2 generic RTL type and a standard Flightaware Stick.

I think that maybe I'll order the Flightaware Pro Plus with the built in filter to play with.  The maximum range I'm getting with all my receivers at the moment is about 140 miles with the occasional ping from further.

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 08:35:46 PM »
.... I had assumed that living out in the country I wouldn't need a filter.....

Any place a mobile/cell phone works, there is a good mobile signal present. :)

Quote from: Allocator
I've got a selection of USB receivers, 2 generic RTL type and a standard Flightaware Stick.

I think that maybe I'll order the Flightaware Pro Plus with the built in filter to play with.  The maximum range I'm getting with all my receivers at the moment is about 140 miles with the occasional ping from further.

Pro Stick Plus has a built-in filter, and in many cases it solves the problem. However there are large number of cases reported where it did not solve the problem and adding an external filter solved the problem (I am one of those cases). Please see the Message Rate graph below which I plotted in 2016. Please note the sharp drop in message rate when external filter was removed from Pro Stick Plus (blue).

Yes, Plus has got a built-in filter, but it is located between built-in front-end RF Amp chip and the Tuner chip. The unfiltered signal from antenna is fed to the RF Amplifier, and if the cell/mobile signal is strong, it causes overload of RF Amp, and consequent deafening of the dongle to comparatively weaker 1090Mhz signal. Adding an external filter between antenna and Pro Stick input blocks mobile/cell phone signal from reaching the front-end RF Amplifier.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:37:47 PM by abcd567 »