anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Last 7 days log is filling with Yellow timestamps...  (Read 5612 times)

G-CONC

Last 7 days log is filling with Yellow timestamps...
« on: January 30, 2018, 10:25:47 AM »
I sent a e-mail to support asking why almost all my timestamps on my PGANRB110184 are yellow. When I started to use the Flightaware dongle they were all correct using the right colours, now things have changed. The confirmation of receipt of the e-mail was instant and I got a reply within 24 hours, I'm still trying to work out what the answer was that he gave me? I quote the answer received "That is interesting, when you mean your share by PGANRB.. have you tried sharing by the sharer software instead?" does anyone know what support means and if there is a sharer software where can one find it.  I thought that if you had a SDR dongle and an old Radarbox account that is no longer used you can use version 6 and sign in with your old details, am I right or wrong. If right why would I be asked to use the sharer software.

Runway 31

Re: Last 7 days log is filling with Yellow timestamps...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 10:57:15 AM »
You are correct Wayne, there is no problem with you using the details that you are.

By looking at your coverage I would suggest that the reason that a good bit of your coverage time is yellow is because you have limited range of max 60 miles mostly to the south of you and you are not picking up much in the way of aircraft.  Yellow signifies that you are online but there is no data because you are not receiving any aircraft during that time.  It goes green when you are picking up aircraft.

The only way to improve the situation will be for you to get a better antenna position to improve your range

Alan

G-CONC

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 11:18:16 AM »
Yes Alan I do understand what your saying, But when I get 25/30 aircraft pass my location within 25 miles and the my station website puts a plane on the map for 10/12 minutes it should give me a green timestamp but they all are yellow.

Runway 31

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 12:01:01 PM »
Wayne

Unfortunately you are not in a high traffic area.  I have been watching you for the last hour or so and no aircraft were picked up by your unit or came near you.  The 25/30 aircraft you pick up will I presume be in a day and I also presume that these will be compressed into short time frames so there will be lots of time in the day when you are picking up nothing such as at this time and other times you may be getting 2 or 3 at a time.  The squares are hourly so if you are not picking up any aircraft in that hour it will be yellow and if you are it will be green. 

I would imagine that most of the traffic you pick up will be in and out of General Santos which only has around 8 daily flights with a few flights in and out of Davao City.  The remainder will I presume be high level overflights.

Have you seen aircraft in your coverage in one of the yellow square times.  If so I would suggest that it is more to do with how the system marks them rather than anything else and I wouldn't get overly hung up about it. 

The only way that I can see to improve the situation and getting more green would be for you to pick up more traffic which may not be appropriate for you.

Alan

Runway 31

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 04:03:35 PM »
Just seen the first one picked up by you in over 5 hrs at 1557 UTC, PAL211.  It was live for around 2 minutes first picked up west abeam you and lost west abeam RPMA airport, then picked up again for around a minute approaching the south coast around Tuka Breach

Another 2 overflights on at 1626 UTC, CEB38 at 1739 UTC, CAL52 going north 1742 UTC, CAL57 southbound at 1835 UTC, CPA27 1848 UTC

Alan
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 06:50:17 PM by Runway 31 »

G-CONC

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 01:43:20 AM »
Thanks Alan for watching my box for a few hours.... I have had another reply from support and now know what their message meant, " If you have an old Radarbox that no longer works and you purchase a SDR dongle, you may use the version 6 radarbox software but you must sign in with your e-mail address and password and not the PGANRB xxxxxx which is for the box only. Apparently this links your new dongle to your old box software, If you sign in with the old PGANRB log in details the program waits for a different kind of message and it does not know that it is being sent by a dongle. As I mentioned to you a few weeks ago I'm just using the dongle until I receive my replacement Com Station this will be connected to the 65ft mast and should be a vast improvement to the present 60/70 mile range, here's hoping for a better system.

Runway 31

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 08:29:01 AM »
Now you know Wayne but at least you are picking up aircraft and that's the main thing

Alan

G-CONC

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 02:58:41 AM »
Hi Alan, it's been a long time since we spoke last, but things are looking up now. Having been refused permission to put up a 65' antenna by the local NTC, I have had to make do with a lower mast of 45', I'm just about clearing the surrounding buildings and getting a good coverage, also now using the X Range box 400164, the area is still low in flights but my coverage area has improved by 3X and the yellow boxes have gone. I’m getting good signals from the north and south but east and west are lower, from the readout given when connected to the IP address of the box the aircraft are dropped from the box when the signal strength goes above (-15 dBFS) for east and west, but north and south can go up to (-16.5 dBFS) before dropping of the screen. There are lots of high range hills to the east and west and I was wondering if I could improve the range by adding a 1090Mhz filter, not sure if the X Range box already has one or not. There are also several cell masts around my location.

Runway 31

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 07:47:47 AM »
Hi Wayne,

Yes I had noted your improved coverage now quite impressive.  I think the X-Range has a filter but will ask and let you know.  A filter will not increase your range as such but could increase the numbers of aircraft you are picking up if there is cell disruption

Alan

G-CONC

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 09:34:20 AM »
Hi Alan, have waited a few weeks, did you find out if the X Range box does have a filter? the other thing I thought of would it be ok to put a mast amp in the set up? I thought I read that there was a small booster in the box, would this conflict with a amp at the mast head? Regards. Wayne

Runway 31

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 10:15:41 AM »
Hi Wayne

It has both a filter and an amp inside.  Adding another amp would seriously degrade the signals.  Unfortunately nothing will aid you seeing over hills/mountains  or anything else that shields the signal from being received

Alan