AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Speed Restrictions  (Read 6003 times)

Tailwinds

Speed Restrictions
« on: November 03, 2008, 09:08:48 AM »
I don't know if it's the same for all large airports in the UK, but I always thought there was a speed restriction of 250KT below FL100. I'm noticing aircraft on the radar arriving at Heathrow on the downwind leg (not using network flights), at speeds of 270KT or more when at FL700. What about the big heavies?, Can they get the speed restriction lifted when departing because of it's weight?
Warning!!! Airnav RadarBox is extremely addictive!

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
Re: Speed Restrictions
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 09:14:06 AM »
Speed restrictions (<250kt below FL100) always exist unless otherwise authorized by the controller in low traffic conditions.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
I don't know if it's the same for all large airports in the UK, but I always thought there was a speed restriction of 250KT below FL100. I'm noticing aircraft on the radar arriving at Heathrow on the downwind leg (not using network flights), at speeds of 270KT or more when at FL700. What about the big heavies?, Can they get the speed restriction lifted when departing because of it's weight?

There is a perfectly simple explanation for this.

The speed restriction is 250kt IAS (Indicated Air Speed) below FL100.

Once you have made the corrections for TAS (True Air Speed), which are significant at altitude, and then added on any tailwind component to get groundspeed (which is what RadarBox displays), the result can easily be 300kt or more.

Coincidentally, I'm working on an add-on for the "other" Mode S receiver which will allow both IAS and TAS to be displayed in addition to groundspeed (plus a few other parameters such as selected altitude, etc).  I don't know yet whether that will be also possible with RadarBox.

This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Tailwinds

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 11:44:04 AM »
Thanks for the explanation.

Protzenalp

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 03:25:40 PM »
...at speeds of 270KT or more when at FL700. What about the big heavies

At levels like FL700 are you tracking the space shuttle???  :)

Tailwinds

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 03:49:12 PM »
A typo error. Didn't notice at the time so thanks.

I do track the Orbiter (during a mission), and the ISS along with countless other Satellites using an excellent satellite tracking program.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 08:30:48 PM »
Re. Shuttle and ISS, I've just started another thread for those who are interested

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1642.msg12846#msg12846

Hmmmmm, I obviously started it in the wrong category, it's moved to General/Aviation...!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:31:50 PM by CoastGuardJon »
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!