anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Database Update Question  (Read 44330 times)

apjwright

Database Update Question
« on: September 26, 2008, 07:22:41 PM »
So, I've been noticing that there are a lot of aircraft that are not showing a registration on my RB 'myFlights' list that i feel should have a registration (i.e. they are not new aircraft and haven't changed operators/countries/registrations lately).

How can I get my database more current than it is?

Thanks,
Tony

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Database Update Question
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 07:25:49 PM »
Are you connected to the Internet when RadarBox is running as it should automatically populate the aircraft details?
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

apjwright

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 01:24:43 AM »

yes ...

If I were to, say, delete the database, would it be re-created the next time I connect?

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 08:17:46 AM »

yes ...

If I were to, say, delete the database, would it be re-created the next time I connect?

Bad idea that - the aircraft details in MyFlights comes from the main NavData.db3 database, as do the routes, aircraft types etc.  The database is updated as each new aircraft is detected, it's not a "database update" as such, more like an aircraft details auto populate.

You do mean MyFlights and not MyLog?

testmonkey

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 10:32:41 AM »
Tony,

If (as we suspect) you are talking about MyFlights i.e. live traffic that you are watching then as Allocator said deleting the database isn't the way to go. Anyway if you did delete the database that RB uses to populate these details, the NavData.db3 database, I would assume that your RB wouldn't start as that database is validated as part of the start-up procedure.

If you use the Database Browser within RB you'll get some idea of the structure of the database. The database is in SQLite format so you could download one of the free SQLite editors available on the net which is the best way to go if you intend doing lots of or continual updates. In theory you could delete all of the entries from the Aircraft table and let that repopulate but to be honest I wouldn't go down that route myself. I did delete 30 odd thousand records from my database that only had ModeS codes listed so that they can repopulate over time if I ever pick them up but not any others. Obviously you'll need to use or learn SQL to perform some tasks but if you search these forums you'll find a couple threads with some SQL scripts to get you started.

To keep the database up to date or populate the extra details i.e. reg for those that are missing you'll either need to do them manually or use something like sbspopulate to batch process them. If you search the Gatwick Aviation Society database (this is what RB uses but it never seems to be quite as current as going to the website direct) at
http://www.gatwickaviationsociety.org.uk/modeslookup.asp
or the airframe.org database at
http://www.airframes.org/
you can find known details to update from. Be aware that the airframes site limits searches to 100 per day.

In addition to missing registrations you'll also find switched construction number and company name fields, missing short type, company name, construction numbers and things like inconsistent company names (Easyjet, Easyjet Airlines, Easyjet Airline Company) which all need changing to get as much accuracy as possible. I've had my RB for a couple of months now and I'm still working through my Aircraft table to get it all sorted.

HTH
testmonkey
--------------------------------------------
RB - MVT9000 - UBC30XLT (for acars)

Yoda

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 09:54:27 AM »
Test Monkey wrote: To keep the database up to date or populate the extra details i.e. reg for those that are missing you'll either need to do them manually or use something like sbspopulate to batch process them. If you search the Gatwick Aviation Society database (this is what RB uses but it never seems to be quite as current as going to the website direct) at
http://www.gatwickaviationsociety.org.uk/modeslookup.asp
or the airframe.org database at
http://www.airframes.org/
you can find known details to update from. Be aware that the airframes site limits searches to 100 per day.

Does this imply that the sbspopulate will work with the AirNav mode-s code table. Sorry, not that familiar with PC based tools.

Allocator

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 10:45:53 AM »
No, RadarBox doesn't need SBS Populate as it has it's own built-in autopopulate function that gets the data from the GAS database via the AirNav server.

tommyg

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 01:57:53 PM »
On the database question I notice in my flights that I still get either ... or null on aircraft that have been seen many times before despite my attempting to edit them in My Log. This happens regularly on CityJet RJ85's and Flybe E190's.
When I use the quick filter the picture comes up with correct type but the aircraft type is either of the above and never updates despite using autopopulate. Am I doing something wrong?
Tommyg

Allocator

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 02:48:47 PM »
On the database question I notice in my flights that I still get either ... or null on aircraft that have been seen many times before despite my attempting to edit them in My Log. This happens regularly on CityJet RJ85's and Flybe E190's.
When I use the quick filter the picture comes up with correct type but the aircraft type is either of the above and never updates despite using autopopulate. Am I doing something wrong?

The MyLog database does not affect what you see in the MyFlights list.

There are 2 databases:

- Navdata.db3 - this is the main source database that is autopopulated when new aircraft are detected.

- MyLog.db3 - this is a record of the live aircraft that have been picked up by your antenna.

Editing MyLog.db3 via the MyLog interface is only going to change details for your historic record of aircraft.  To change the details in the source database (NavData.db3) you must use the RB Database Explorer via the File menu.

See the FAQ section here on the forum for a guide to manually editing aircraft and route details.

Yoda

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 03:02:29 PM »
No, RadarBox doesn't need SBS Populate as it has it's own built-in autopopulate function that gets the data from the GAS database via the AirNav server.

I appreciate that, and thats fine when the box is used where internet connection is available. What I am after is a way of updating the NavData.db3 without having to enter the information field by field using the provided edit tool.

Allocator

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 03:13:22 PM »
No other way as far as I know.

There are various 3rd party SQL database editors, but they all require the fields to be edited separately.  There isn't a "data inport" as such, but if you are clever with SQL, then you might be able to do something.

Yoda

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 08:58:49 AM »
Allocator - thanks. I suppose it was too much to hope sbspopulate would work. Looks like I'll have to continue to update the long way and revise my sql skills in the long term!

Allocator

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 10:02:57 AM »
Yoda,

I find that I only have to do minimal manual update work, even when I'm using RB away from and Internet connection.  If you use the same PC, say a laptop, both with the connection and then without this works well because the main source database NavData.db3 is auto populated when you are on line and then these details are available when you are next working off-line.

Obviously, if you get a new aircraft when you are off line, then you won't see all the details for it.  Also, the records in MyLog - your detected aircraft - will have details missing.  Every now and then, I use Populate in the MyLog Tools menu, this looks at the NavData database and also checks the Server if you are on-line to fill in any missing details.

If you are using different PC's, then just copy the NavData.db3 file from the Internet machine to the portable machine, and your  source database will always be up to date.  I think that the only time you will have many aircraft without details if if you take your RB to a different continent.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 10:22:59 AM »
One technique I have found useful for correcting <1000 aircraft at a time is to use the RePopulate function in GAS sbspopulate.  To do this, you'll need to get hold of an empty SBS-1 Basestation database.  You can then populate that database with the ModeS Hex Codes of the aircraft you want to correct.  Then run RePopulate in GAS.  You then need to export the aircraft from the Basestation database, and import them into your NavData database.

Very complicated, but easy once you've setup the various queries in SQLMaestro.  Great for correcting aircraft records where:
1. The Serial and Owner are reversed.
2. The ICAOType doesn't have a match in the silhouettes folder.
3. Empty registration numbers.
4. Etc.....
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 05:08:27 PM by tarbat »

DorsetGooner

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 01:36:48 PM »
I have a similar problem with all Delta Flights. They don't appear to show up on the map although using modern aircraft and I never have the airline logo show up in MyFlights. Is this an issue with Delta for everybody or just me ?

Regards
Dorset Gooner