anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Standard Antenna changed?  (Read 3592 times)

bratters

Standard Antenna changed?
« on: December 23, 2009, 03:40:50 PM »
I recently bought a new standard RB antenna and noticed some slight changes in appearance from my original 1998 jobbie.

The most significant of these is that the cable appears to be slightly thicker and provides lower signal loss. I have run the two aerials side by side on test for a while and I seem to be getting an approximate 10% improvement in signal quantity/distance.

There are a number of alternatives here: my older aerial is down on performance, my observations are rubbish, too much grape juice at lunchtime or the new aerial is in fact better specced and giving better results.

The only people who know for sure are Airnav. What say you Airnav?

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
Re: Standard Antenna changed?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 06:37:20 PM »
original 1998 jobbie

Hi Bratters, now a 1998 twig, that would be a novelty!   Seriously, though the one that came with my RB (Nov. 08) is identical to the replacement standard one just supplied by W&S, but the one GlynH (did the beer token arive safely Glyn?)sent me, is, I assume older with 3 little "nibs" or bumps around the base, and much superior co-ax.    I have found problems with all 3 antennas being poorly soldered on the core connection being dry-jointed.    My original and W&S replacement both have a much lesser quality of co-ax.   Soldering screen and core properly made quite a difference.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

bratters

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 07:31:10 PM »
CGJon - the one I just received sounds very much like the one you got from Glyn with nibs and decent co-ax. Must be two types knocking about.

Certainly it seems that the better coax means better signals. If Airnav wants to produce a higher quality and more receptive indoor aerial at a sensible price, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would be interested.

Ideally what I would like would be the opportunity to use a pair of aerials simulteously covering both sides of the building. Don't know whether anyone has ever researched and tested a way of doing that.

Oh yes - for 1998 read 2008 - damn brain of mine blows fuses these days.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 10:33:18 PM »
How time flies!     Problem with 2 antennas simultaneously - signals would be slightly out of phase and negate each-other.    I did buy an ex Gov't High Quality phasing harness with 2 N-type sockets from Haydon Comms, but haven't tried playing with it to date.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

bratters

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 11:01:14 PM »
A phasing harness? Not seen one of them but I would have thought some sort of switching/interleaving/phasing would have been possible these days.

Anyway back to the topic, the better quality coax seems to be an improvement.