anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any Updates?  (Read 58394 times)

cosmoc

Any Updates?
« on: September 09, 2008, 09:12:23 AM »
Hi all
Have not herd alot about the Shiptrax in a while and i was wondering if we are any closer to the release or if you have any more screenshots?

cosmoc

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Any Updates?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 09:23:15 AM »
Development is ongoing and there should be some news and screenshots soon.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

cosmoc

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 09:06:58 PM »
good on you airnav looking forward to seeing it

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 11:26:46 AM »
To be more detailed, software is 95% finished and we are still waiting for the hardware development - HW tests should start in 15 days.

cosmoc

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 07:20:33 AM »
looking forward to it :-)

Peter

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 09:20:21 AM »
Any forecast yet as to when the "software only" option will be released please? I have my own AIS receiver, and I'm sure that there will many be others in the same position. You could obtain some valuable "in the field" experience from people like myself which may find an odd glitch for you before you release the complete kits!
Here's hoping!
Regards

Peter (G8ZQA)

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 09:40:39 AM »
We are testing HW units now and software is almost finished.

cosmoc

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 07:41:44 AM »
for the ais reciver what one are you useing?
and what would i need to buy if i wanted the software only version?(prices)
thanks
:-)

Peter

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 08:49:11 AM »
I'm using the Comar SLR200 unit. As you know there are two receive frequencies, many models simply alternate reception between the two channels. This particular model actually has two receivers in the one unit, each one especially set up for its own channel, so you theorectically stand more chance of good coverage of a weak signal. I've been quite happy with it, although sharing inside the programme I am presently using reveals a few extra ships in my nearest port, no doubt shielded by cranes etc, that I cannot see directly from this location.
I have had the Comar quite a while now so could not comment on its current availibility.
I believe that the AirNav product may rely heavily on sharing, so something simple such as the NASA A.I.S. Engine may be all that is needed, they are still widely available and a few firmware improvements have been made over the original model. I have no idea how bespoke the AirNav's own unit will be, or its cost in comparson with receivers available on dealers shelves!
If my computer had not blown a gasket when SP3 was auto downloaded, I might have been helping with the test programme so might have had a better idea of which way things were developing!
Hope this helps

marcdeklerk

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 05:55:29 PM »
Airnav any pictures for us!!?

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 06:25:50 PM »
We are now in possession of the finished hardware unit for testing and it looks amazing. Very similar to the RadarBox hardware but with a Serial and USB output and white with black font. We are testing its performance.

The software is also running 24/7 for 1 month now: it is based on RadarBox 2.0 software so very stable. More news to follow.

mt007

• PGAv - Portugalia Airlines Virtual
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 09:40:34 PM »
Great news Development
Regards
Miguel Teixeira
Oeiras, Portugal

cosmoc

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 02:06:40 AM »
Thank you for the reply:-)
I was thinking of purchesing the NASA A.I.S reciver and the Shiptrax software. Airnav, Have you done a comparison of your hardware to an A.I.S reciver to see if the reciver matches the shiptrax hardware?
Also if i was to buy the NASA hardware would all i need be in the NASA box? or would i have to buy cabels? etc.
Thanks 

titigti

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 08:13:39 AM »
I'm using the sr-161  works very well for me. Only thing to do is putting the antenna on the roof.

www.liveais.nl to see my reception at the moment.

Regards,
Etienne

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 08:23:44 AM »
Thank you for the reply:-)
I was thinking of purchesing the NASA A.I.S reciver and the Shiptrax software. Airnav, Have you done a comparison of your hardware to an A.I.S reciver to see if the reciver matches the shiptrax hardware?
Also if i was to buy the NASA hardware would all i need be in the NASA box? or would i have to buy cabels? etc.
Thanks 

I've got the NASA AIS engine, although as I live a long way from the sea, I haven't used it a great deal!

However, I have tested it with the COAA ShipPlotter program and it works just fine with that.  The NASA receiver is best described as "cheap and cheerful" rather than as a nice bit of kit.  The NASA engine comes with a 9-pin "D" type serial lead - this is the first problem, as none of my laptops have serial connections as these have all been replaced by USB -  so the first cost hit was a USB to Serial adaptor for the laptop.  Also, although there is a power lead, it doesn't have a plug of any type and there is no included mains power supply.  The AIS engine requires a nominal 12 volts, although I think that it will work a bit above and below this.  I used ShipPlotter and the receiver mobile in the car, so I had to put a standard car "cigar lighter" plug on the lead - second cost hit!

The NASA engine has no indicator lights at all, so it's difficult to know when it's working.  I fired up the laptop, connected the AIS engine and plugged it into the cars 12 volt socket - and nothing happened!  Was this because there were no ships, was the antenna no goood, or maybe the receiver wasn't talking to the laptop! It became a case of trial an error to change the settings in ShipPlottter until I got some ships plotting.

The AIS engine does come with a trial version of Souls on Board - again a bit of a nightmare to set this up - but it does have a window that shows the raw data from the receiver so you can see if the data is flowing.  If it's not, it's usually a Com port issue.

So, I'm tempted to go for the complete AirNav solution of software and hardware, as at least the two should talk to each other and hopefully there will be some indicator lights on the receiver like the RadarBox hardware.  Also, as I believe that the connection will be USB rather that Serial (although I think that Serial will be an option) then it should be easier to set up.  If you think it's difficult to set up USB drivers, then you should try USB to Com port drivers!  I have no idea what the performance of the AirNav receiver will be compared to the AIS engine, but I have had reports of the AIS item being a bit deaf - it's a cheap receiver, so you can't expect the world.  Maybe somebody here uses one more regularly and can pass comment.

I hope to mostly use the Network function of ShipTrax, but I do want the receiver for those trips to the coast - I'm really looking forward to the release, it can't be too far off now!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 08:25:27 AM by Allocator »