AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: UBC800XLT Scanner.  (Read 47580 times)

BobR

UBC800XLT Scanner.
« on: September 04, 2008, 06:13:27 PM »
Hi,

I am in the process of changing my scanner and am thinking about the Uniden UBC800XLT.

Does anybody have any experience of it and if so what are your thoughts.

Cheers,

Bob

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: UBC800XLT Scanner.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 06:25:20 PM »
I have the UBC800XLT, only had it about 6 weeks but I'm delighted with it.  I use bctool to manage the programming, etc, and use it all the time for scanning both VHF (civilian) and UHF (military).  Does everything I want.

I bought mine from xovereign via. eBay.  Excellent dealer at the best price around.

Anything you want to know, just ask.

BobR

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 06:40:50 PM »
Hi Tarbet,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am keen to use it via the PC and the BCTOOL looks outstanding (especially as it is free!!). I want to also use it for mobile use in conjunction with the RB.

The display looks very clear. What is the audio quality like or are you using an external speaker. Also is it possible to take an audio output from the scanner direct to the hard drive of my PC.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

Bob

I think at the price with xovereign is offering it would be rude not to invest.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »
Yes, BCTOOLS is excellent.  Display is very clear, with adjustable backlight.  Audio quality is okay, better than my previous scanner, another Uniden.  Speaker is on the bottom of the case, so you either need to use the supplied bracket, or make sure you leave a gap under the scanner for the sound to get out.

Yes, the REC jack on the rear apron provides a constant-level audio output which is not affected by the setting of the volume control.  And I think BCTOOLS can be configured to start/stop recordings - not something I've tried though.

Manual is available for download at http://www.radios-uk.com/UBC800XLTuserguide.pdf

I'd never used xovereign before, but they came well recommended, and proved very reliable and helpful.

Chris (tarbat)

GrimReaperuk

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 05:21:14 PM »
How fast is the scan rate?

Regards

Gary

chen2x18

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 04:40:05 AM »
An audio quality makes the real sounds to get out..

colinhall

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 05:03:54 AM »
Morning Tarbat,  I would like to get myself a new scanner, and would like it to receive mil eg Red Arrows. Any ideas on a good one which is not to expensive please mate.   Colin Hall.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 07:57:30 AM »
Morning Tarbat,  I would like to get myself a new scanner, and would like it to receive mil eg Red Arrows. Any ideas on a good one which is not to expensive please mate.

Well, the UBC800XLT can receive military okay, Red Arrows on 243.450.  The other scanner I use for mobile use is an old Yupiteru MVT-5000, which has given me many, many years of reliable mobile use.

I'm no expert on scanners though, I just look at the advice/recommendations on other websites!!

colinhall

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 04:57:43 AM »
Thanks for that Tarbat, will have a look at that later on when i get home, I will have to get a mobile one for going to H,row etc.  Colin.

colinhall

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 05:06:38 AM »
Tarbat, Sorry another one for you. oN THE rb do you get the box to find my home automatically. When i do it in the preferences it told me i was in High Wyckomb then when i tried again it said London?? I live on top of the cliffs at St Margarets At Cliffe near Dover???. Colin

colinhall

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 04:55:31 AM »
Hi Imropes, thanks for that. Any idea of the sites for that info please?.Will have to get my head round it when I get time to have the box on for a good amount of time. Thanks for that. Colin.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 06:47:48 AM »
Hi Imropes, thanks for that. Any idea of the sites for that info please?.Will have to get my head round it when I get time to have the box on for a good amount of time. Thanks for that. Colin.

Google Earth works well.

If you are in the UK, you can also do a Google search for a Postcode to lat/lon converter- I've used this and if I find the link again, I'll post it.

Edit:

This site works well:

http://www.nearby.org.uk/conversions-more.cgi

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 06:49:45 AM by Allocator »

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
Morning Tarbat,  I would like to get myself a new scanner, and would like it to receive mil eg Red Arrows. Any ideas on a good one which is not to expensive please mate.   Colin Hall.

Colin,

I have the UBC3500XLT scanner for hand held use . The reason I chose it is that it uses the same type of band plan as the UBC785XLT (which I also own) and now the later UBC800XLT that Tarbat has mentioned.

Coverage in distance is not quite as good as the base station but for use at airports/airshows it is ideal.

Regards

Mike

colinhall

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 04:49:53 AM »
Morning Roadrunner, thanks for that will google that one to find out where best to get one, price etc.     Colin.

EMA

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 03:10:13 PM »
I found the UBC800XLT to suffer breakthrough and interference at my location on the airband, where as my Icom PCR1500 performs much better with no breakthrough but it is a more expensive receiver.