AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Quick FTP question?  (Read 11019 times)

GlynH

Quick FTP question?
« on: August 31, 2008, 01:01:12 AM »
I have for many years used a local ftp server on my home network to transfer files too big to be sent via email so I thought I would give the FTP service in RB2009 a try.

In Preferences/Screen Shots Auto FTP Upload I added in the details for my FTP server.

At first I entered the path using UNC naming conventions i.e. \\Share and that didn't work so after seeing the example in the Help file homepages.demon.co.uk (Hello Gary) I just left the name as is witout the \\

Lo and behold shortly thereafter at 01:27 a .gif file appeared showing the screenshot of my RB... in the Help file it said it creates a .jpg file but that is not important.

Anyway RB places a .tmp file in the same folder named using time & date along the lines of _200808310024.tmp and adds another one every minute.

The original .gif file stays the same so the screenshot is never updated.

Now the .tmp files are the same size as the .gif and if I rename them from .tmp to .gif they display the screenshot as expected.

I am thinking here that maybe some html code or something is used to change the .tmp and overwrite the .gif file or some other magic is performed if using the ftp facility of ones ISP?

Maybe I have missed something fundamental here but how does one get the .tmp file to overwrite the .gif or otherwise display properly?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Quick FTP question?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 07:32:16 AM »
Glyn,

Just back from a week in Italy - Lake Garda - fantastic (except for the fact I didn't have my RadarBox with me - well, it was a very important wedding anniversary!)

You need a bit of html code to refresh the page.  I've posted it here on the forum somewhere I'm sure.  I don't have time to answer fully right now, bur I'll get back to you tomorrow maybe if you haven't worked it out by then.

Do a Google search for "html code page refresh" or something like that - that's how I found it.

GlynH

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 09:06:44 AM »
Lake Garda? Beautiful place...welcome back! :-)

Happy Anniversary Mr & Mrs. Allocator!

I did see your post with the html code - and have just noticed that you actually have a web page that displays the screenshot.

That would explain that then - I was running along the lines of using the ftp folder alone to do all the work...wondered why when I ftp'd into it all I saw was a bunch of files and no picture! <blush>

I need to spend more time on this methinks...

When you get a minute & feel suitably relaxed maybe you could pick up on the point below where I only get one screenshot and a new .tmp file uploaded every minute - is there a work-round for this, have I missed anything or am I doing something else wrong?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 02:12:06 PM »
Not to sure what you may have done. The FTP screenshot should update the gif (not jpg its wrong in the help file) and you should not have to change things yourself.

Do you have lots of .tmp files in your ftp folder now? If so something is wrong with the settings.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

belgianguy

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 02:56:13 PM »
I tried the ftp too and I have the same problem of tmp-files. With every refresh of the gif-file another tmp-file is created. My page is updated every minut. Don't have a problem with that.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 03:52:02 PM »
I only get the one .gif file when I FTP.  The new file overwrites the old file.

http://www.ruyton.demon.co.uk/html/radarbox.html

GlynH

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 08:45:26 PM »
Not to sure what you may have done. The FTP screenshot should update the gif (not jpg its wrong in the help file) and you should not have to change things yourself.

Do you have lots of .tmp files in your ftp folder now? If so something is wrong with the settings.

Not sure what you may have done! :-)

The FTP screenshot is definitely not updating/overwriting the .gif - after writing the initial gif it continues writing a gif file of the same size but with a .tmp file extension every minute thereafter.

OK here's a summary;

1. RB2009/2.0 File/Preferences/Screen Shot Auto FTP Upload
Active: Checked
Username: Name
Password: ********
Host: Server
Port: 21
Folder: RadarBox

This is a local folder on a server share on my Intranet using the UNC path; \\Server\FTP\RadarBox
and was setup using the Microsoft FTP service from within IIS on the server - it is not hosted remotely by my ISP.

I am able to access the FTP share using either the FTP command from the MS-DOS console (CMD Prompt) and also using FTP within a web browser both locally & remotely.

After 5 minutes the first file appears as expected;
RadarBoxScreenShot.gif
42KB
699 x 825
20:57
This opens up in any image viewer and displays the RadarBox screen as expected.

So far...so good.

Here's where it gets interesting - a minute later the second file appears;
 _200808311954.tmp
44KB
20:58
This has no file association but if I change the file suffix from .tmp to .gif it displays the RadarBox screen as expected.

A minute after that another file gets written;
_200808311955.tmp
46KB
20:59

A minute later...well you get the idea.

Do I have many .tmp files in my FTP folder?

Well RB has been running for @ 21 hours now so I have the original screenshot which has never been overwritten and a further 1,259 files with the .tmp extension!

Quick...fetch me another hard disk...I only have 2.25TB free space left on my server. ;^)

It seemed such a simple function...I even called the thread 'Quick FTP question?'

But you know me...just born lucky I guess...:-/

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 08:52:55 PM by GlynH »