AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Undockable windows  (Read 12273 times)

Deadcalm

Undockable windows
« on: August 10, 2008, 07:17:20 PM »
I see this old chestnut is raising its head again.  As a number of users have mentioned it, and AirNav seem to think few users want it, let's have a definitive poll here and judge the actual popularity of the idea.  I hasten to add that this should include those who like the idea, but don't necessarily consider it urgent, or a showstopper!

As Airnav proudly boast, there are now 1000 forum members, so it should be a lively debate.  Or not.

I, for one would like to see windows that may be undocked available as soon as possible.

DC
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 07:19:35 PM by Deadcalm »
Go around, I say again go around...

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Undockable windows
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 07:27:46 PM »
I'm definitely in the "nice to have" camp here, rather than considering it essential.  I use 2 monitors and the second monitor is for everything else - web browser, radio scanner interface, email, Paint Shop Pro for manipulating logos, flags and pictures for RadarBox etc.  So if I could have RadarBox undocked on 2 monitors, I'd probably only use it like this 10% of the time or less.

On the other hand, if I had 3 monitors ...........

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 07:30:15 PM »
From my own personal perspective, I would prefer that Airnav devote their development resources to other priorities.  There's many suggestions posted on this forum, too numerous to list here, that would be higher up my list of priorities.  I woulnd't want to hijack this thread with my list of priorities.

You've got to look at it from Airnav's perspective.  Would having undockable windows help to sell more units?  What percentage of PCs have more than one monitor connected?

Maybe a list of all the features that have been requested would help identify where development priorities should be assigned.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 07:32:18 PM by tarbat »

besty

• County Durham, Land of the Prince Bishops
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 07:33:21 PM »
I'm much the same as Allocator, 1 for the radarbox and the other for everything else. A complete wish list would be nice but then everyone wants something different trying to keep everyone happy isn't easy.... poor Airnav
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 07:34:55 PM by besty8 »

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 07:35:20 PM »
I'm in the "possibly nice sometime in the future" camp - I've just bought a 22" screen for less than 130GBP and I can see pretty much all I want to see with that! Could just do with having my eyes a bit further apart now :-)

Rod
Rod

GlynH

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 07:41:40 PM »
Well obviously you can count me in for the feature as running RB on a single 19" LCD monitor limits the amount of info I can see and makes for some uncomfortable squeezing of the radar screen and omitting various columns in the aircraft list...

Regards,
-=Glyn=-

DaveG

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 10:27:30 PM »
Think you have to remember that undocked windows does not mean you need two monitors, just means you have greater control over sizing and positioning on screen, either on one, two or even three monitors.  Anyone that uses Adobe products will be aware of this.

Current design restricts the layout, size and position of each section.  For example if you want the map larger on screen you have to sacrifice something else. 

If you could undock windows you then have full control over all aspects, even if only on one monitor. 

Again example, if only one monitor and you only need the map and Mylog windows it means all the space on the monitor can be used for just those two items, the main program window can then be minimised.

Having more than one monitor is just a bigger bonus...

Do not want to turn this health discussion into a problem, but think this one feature would take radarbox to the next level in user interface far more than some of the new features in next release.  That's not knocking what's coming in next release just highlighting what "I" think would be a major step forward.

As for Airnav, keep it coming as a Ex-SBS1 user its refreshing to see posts from Airnav staff daily unlike what happened some where else!!
Cornwall, UK

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 12:30:42 AM »
Thanks for all your emails.

The undockable windows feature had not been added to V2.0 but will be for 2.1 (as well as other suggestion who might come in). Keep them coming please. They are all noted and added to the application wish list.

Thanks for your nice comments. AirNav is a game changer company. We want the feedback of our users and we will add their suggestions. Just have a look at V2.0 suggestion list and you will see that 80% of the new features are user suggestions. It will always continue like this.

We do have a major project going on here where the biggest airlines in the world will start using our software (more news soon). Even with it rolling we are developing non-professional solutions and releasing V2.0 quite soon.

Thanks again for all users comments and do your part: spread the word with your friends about our system. we want to see more and more customers coming in.

Steve R

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 06:25:32 PM »
Hi All,

I'm all for having undockable windows. I've got 2 monitors linked up to My PC, so it would be nice to be able to un-dock & move say the Map window, then have the other windows sized on the second monitor.

But as Airnav have already answered with this option being available in v2.0 then thats cool. Looking forward to it.

Keep up the good work Airnav.

SteveR

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 07:00:23 PM »
Thats available in Version 2.1 not 2 Steve R just incase you have misread :)
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Steve R

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 09:09:21 AM »
No worries, I knew there was a 2 in there somwhere, lol.

Deadcalm

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 02:55:15 PM »
Interesting.  Six days have passed, 1000 forum members, 261 views, yet only 8 users have expressed an opinion one way or the other...

... I'll get me coat.

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 03:07:58 PM »
The silent majority, or is it a silent minority ..........

I'm sure it's one of those functions that if AirNav could make it happen, we'd all say "I don't know how I managed without it!"

Don't despair DC, at least nobody said it was a daft idea :-)

DaveG

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 04:26:40 PM »
Interesting.  Six days have passed, 1000 forum members, 261 views, yet only 8 users have expressed an opinion one way or the other...

... I'll get me coat.

DC

Think you'll find the topic has been discussed for a lot longer than six days.....  That was only the latest instalment. How do I know, cause I'm the one that start the request sometime back..  ;) 

And I for one am very glad Airnav will be introducing it into 2.1, for those that have not used undocked windows or can't see the need, let here from them after it's a feature.
Cornwall, UK

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 04:34:22 PM »
Maybe I'm being thick, but I can't think of any other software I use that has undockable Windows.  I'd like to see why others like undockable windows, so how would I know if a Window is undockable in another program?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 04:38:44 PM by tarbat »