anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: EMail Alerts  (Read 9906 times)

apjwright

EMail Alerts
« on: July 25, 2008, 02:57:30 PM »
Hi.  Still getting used to this new toy.   Have setup a bunch of alerts and have checked the 'send an email to..." box.  Alas, no emails are being sent.  Is there more to this?  Is it dependent on certain settings, etc.?

Any help/tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds,
Tony
near YYZ

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: EMail Alerts
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 03:17:50 PM »
Hi.  Still getting used to this new toy.   Have setup a bunch of alerts and have checked the 'send an email to..." box.  Alas, no emails are being sent.  Is there more to this?  Is it dependent on certain settings, etc.?

Rgds,
Tony
near YYZ

There has been discussion about this previously.  One user - sorry, can't remember who it was - had great difficulty with the email function.  Other than that, it has worked for almost everybody else.  I certainly haven't had any problems with the two PC's that I run RB on.

Things to check:

- Are the alerts set up correctly, are you actually getting audio/visual alerts on the PC, do they appear in the Alert Log?

- Have you put the right email address in the box?

- Is your email client seeing the alert email as spam and blocking it?

- Can you send a Report via MyLog > Reporter > Generate > Send by email?

All the best

Allocator

apjwright

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 04:04:58 PM »
Thanks for the tips.   After further investigation and trouble-shooting I have discovered the following:

- generating a report and attempting to 'Send by email' resulted in an error message - "Could not connect to SMTP server..."

Now, the issue is, how to resolve?  I don't see any obvious settings/preferences anywhere to configure.

Further tips/hints?

Thanks,
Tony

Allocator

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 04:48:27 PM »
Maybe this is a Firewall issue?

Is your firewall blocking RB's attempt to send the email?

What version of Windows and what Firewall are you using?

I'm not sure what SMTP server is used here.  I'm guessing that it is the one you have set as your default in Outlook or Thunderbird?  Can you send normal email messages OK from your mail program?

I've just sent myself a report and that's gone OK.

Edit:  It looks like the AirNav SMTP server is used:

mail.airnavsystems.com

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 04:50:01 PM by Allocator »

waddington1

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 04:49:41 PM »
I am pleased you sorted your email alerts.  The alerts made my day today, it alerted me while at work that the Vulcan was up.  Its a great feature.

Stu

waddington1

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 04:54:21 PM »
Sorry I missed read your email, its not sorted.  I had a problem with mine at first, I think it was my SMTP settings.

waddington1

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 05:03:56 PM »
How long have you had the alerts working.  I think it might be that it takes a while for it to start working.  I think when I set mine up it took about 24hrs before the alerts started coming through.  I also set up a second email account for the alerts to go to and that also took a couple of days before I got any emails.

Makes me think that airnav set a forwarding from its server.

Hope this helps.

Stu

apjwright

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 05:15:46 PM »
I just noticed something that could be the problem ...

When I launch RB, the Signon screen pops up.  If I press the 'Account' button, a screen shows that says "Pre-created account not yet activated."  Not sure what that is or how I remedy it ...

Tony

Allocator

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 05:42:59 PM »
Tony,

contact support direct at [email protected]

prbflight

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 03:32:22 AM »
Hi.  Still getting used to this new toy.   Have setup a bunch of alerts and have checked the 'send an email to..." box.  Alas, no emails are being sent.  Is there more to this?  Is it dependent on certain settings, etc.?

Rgds,
Tony
near YYZ

There has been discussion about this previously.  One user - sorry, can't remember who it was - had great difficulty with the email function.  Other than that, it has worked for almost everybody else.  I certainly haven't had any problems with the two PC's that I run RB on.

Things to check:

- Are the alerts set up correctly, are you actually getting audio/visual alerts on the PC, do they appear in the Alert Log?

- Have you put the right email address in the box?

- Is your email client seeing the alert email as spam and blocking it?

- Can you send a Report via MyLog > Reporter > Generate > Send by email?

All the best

Allocator

That other user would be me.  It's been over a year and how many versions and I still can't connect to SMTP server.  I've tried everything including AirNav Support, deleting all my anti-virus programs, trying the program on my wife's computer, bypassing my router, contacting my internet provider for help etc, etc.  No one can solve it.  I see you are near YYZ.  I am near YYB.  Are any other Canadian user's having the same problem?

Paul@cyyb

pcochrane12

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 08:35:31 AM »
hi all
first time i've used e-mail alerts and found no trouble in reciving them over night checked delivery time against actual alert time only minutes between them.
cheers paul

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 01:11:07 PM »
We believe this is an ISP measure which blocks acess to SMTP servers so customers use there email servers and also limits spam.

There is nothing that we can do other than include a SMTP app inside the application however even these can be blocked by ISP firewalls.

Havings said the vast majority of ISPs do not have this limit.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

apjwright

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 01:32:40 PM »
To close the loop on this email issue ...

I talked to the support desk of my ISP (Rogers for any Canadians).  They said that any outgoing SMTP must be authenticated with the users Rogers id/password.  It would appear that this is the issue.

What I will do (at some point) is test using my laptop from a hotel/office where my home ISP is removed from the picture.

Thanks for all of the responses and comments,
Tony

GlynH

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 02:13:33 PM »
Tony,

I am sure you will find that is the problem as some ISP's block anything that isn't authenticated to prevent unsolicited email which makes sense when you think about it.

Maybe Paul has the same ISP and/or suffers the same restriction

It doesn't help you in this situation however...

I realise its no consolation to you but I installed my RadarBox on Friday, set up email alerts and it does exactly what it says on the tin.

I have some ideas on how it can be expanded but that's for another day...

The search is now on to find a good, reliable (and free?) Company who offers the ability to turn an email into an SMS text message as I would prefer to be notified by text of aircraft in the vicinity of my house for those times when I am out in the back garden, look up, see a 'plane and wonder what type it is, how high, how fast, where is it from and where is it going!

FYI the format of the text sent looks something like this - <tease>

----------cut----------
Alert Time: 2008/07/25 06:00:47

Flight In Range: EI-CSR

Total flight information:

Flight ID: RYR9388

Aircraft: B737-800

Routing: EGNX-LEGE

Latitude: N52 02.6

Longitude: W001 22.2

Altitude: 22000 feet

Speed: 395 knots

V/S: 2048

Heading: 150

-

Alert Generated by AirNav RadarBox 2008
----------cut----------

It's worth perservering with IMHO.

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 02:17:13 PM by GlynH »

Tallyho

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 05:41:32 PM »
Hi Glyn
I use these for both Email2SMS and SMS2Email services...
I can recommend them, never had any problems and service is very fast and reliable.

http://aql.co.uk/site/email2sms.php

Keith