AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Some interesting findings....NOOELEC vs Airnav Classic radarbox  (Read 3167 times)

CYYZGUY

For about 2 weeks now, I have been running 2 systems, off the same ADSB antenna I have perched high up outside.... with a splitter.

On the radarbox classic, I get more hits, for example, I have 158 aircraft showing.

On the NOOELEC, I have 132 aircraft showing.

Now, with the same antenna, you would think the results should be the same.....give or take a few aircraft, but the NOOELEC has consistently about 20 less aircraft showing....and most of them are MODE-S only not showing up..

Now, here is the bizarre part.  The range on the NOOELEC is outstanding, I get hits much further away.

Max range on the NOOELEC is 336 Nm

Max range on radarbox classic is 243 Nm

My conclusion so far is that the NOOELEC does BETTER with ADSB signals then the radarbox classic, but the radarbox classic get more MODE-S hits.

Just throwing it out there for everyone to see.

Jason
2 Nm North from Canada's Busiest Airport CYYZ

DPD 1090 Mhz Antenna with LMR-400 Cable
Antenna 35 Feet (11 Meters) standing tall
Dedicated Airnav Station with 16 Gigs ram
Dedicated Radarbox24 Station with 16 Gigs ram
40" LED Monitor
40" LED Monitor
BCD996XT, BCT15X, BCT15X, BCT15 and BCD436 receiver

tommyg

Re: Some interesting findings....NOOELEC vs Airnav Classic radarbox
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 11:20:54 AM »
Jason.

After my classic box died i have fitted the NooElec dongle (which doesn't work with my tablet unlike my old classic RB, but thats another story) to my laptop and using the same external antenna I agree with you that the number of ADSB hits seems to be the same but MODE S only seems to have reduced so where as i was getting on average 70/80 flights on my my system its now down to 50/60 and mainly ADSB.

tommyg
Tommyg