AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Freezing planes  (Read 4400 times)

Rethymnian

Freezing planes
« on: June 30, 2017, 11:41:52 AM »
Hello AirNav community,

on average my station PGANRB300799 monitors between 50 - 80 planes. In the last few weeks I have noticed that all planes
or a number of planes are frozen on my monitor and do not move at all, compared to the real time movement when everything
is fine. I also noticed that in frozen condition, or just after being unfrozen, the planes flight patch becomes erratic. Is this because
1) My internet connection is too slow, 2) Because the AirNav server can not handle the traffic of all stations, 3) Because of the hot
weather in Greece re. atmospheric disturbance, or 4) Is there another reason?

Bests regards from the very hot island of Crete,

Rethymnian

Runway 31

Re: Freezing planes
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 12:47:53 PM »
Best asking support Rethymnian as they would be best placed to answer.

I presume this is on RB24, does it happen all the time or occasionally.  From what you are describing it would appear to me that there may be a number of reasons why these symptoms can occur.  Even within coverage areas there may be areas depending on altitude etc where aircraft may come out of coverage for a short period causing them to freeze in position until the signal is received again and its position can then jump to its current location.  There may even be a momentary outage of the internet at either end of the chain but as I stated Airnav them selves would be best placed to provide an answer.

Alan

Rethymnian

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 01:29:10 PM »
Hi Alan,

I will ask them directly.

Thanks,

Markos

neroon79

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 01:31:33 PM »
Markos,

Two reasons named below, but there are many more...

Two aircraft coincidentally sending their messages with same signal strength at almost same time can corrupt both messages so data gets invalid and therefore no position updates are available. As a result both airframes would freeze on the map. The more traffic is in range the higher is the possibility of this reason for airframe reason.

Technical issue: If you have a very high room temperature the electronic inside the Comstation may getting problems in terms of over heat causing temporary ceasing of operation. If the case of the devices surface is almost that hot that you aren't able to touch it you can try to stand it on smaller side. In my case it resulted in a >5K temperature drop inside the comstation.

Ingo
Greetings from northern Germany, Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

SW: ANRB v5.00.072/6.01.001 on WIN10 64Bit Pro&Home
HW:
Ant.: DPD Productions ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna
AMP: Kuhne electr. KU LNA 1090 A TM
Cable: 25m of ECOFLEX 15+
NB: Asus P53E 24/7 op.
PC: 28"4K + 24" Monitor
AirSpy mini @RPi3

Rethymnian

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 02:55:40 PM »
Hi Ingo,

only a German could come on the idea to measure the temperature inside a Comstation, before and after flipping it on it's side ;-) Yes, it is bloody hot in my office, which is located directly under the roof of my 3 storey house, although the roof is completely tiled, which should deflect most of the heat away.

I touched the Comstation and it feels hot. Not so hot that you get burnt immediately, but hot enough that one does not want to touch it, if one does not necessarily needs to touch it. I do like your remark though, as I already had the feeling that it happens a lot less or barely at all after 0.00 Hrs. At the time I thought that perhaps less online boxes / users, which perhaps bogged the AirNav system down, were the reason, but it could very well be the drop of the outside temperature.

AirNav should design a Greece limited edition with large cool fins on the box exterior, haha. Now the Comstation is standing on the smaller side and lets see what happens. Thanks for the tip!

Markos