AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: how to get Flightstick to work on R-Pi  (Read 8207 times)

N9NWO

how to get Flightstick to work on R-Pi
« on: March 23, 2019, 12:48:12 AM »
I have R-Pi up and running.  Now how to get the Flightstick data to be reported.

I have no data being reported.  What do I do?

Runway 31

Re: how to get Flightstick to work on R-Pi
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 07:13:24 AM »
Pi's are a wee bit different from Windows, have a look at http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=10201.msg187831#msg187831

Alan

pellonet

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 02:13:32 PM »
Pi's are a wee bit different from Windows, have a look at http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=10201.msg187831#msg187831

Excellent suggestion & great article. I came late to the Airnav table so already had the 'option 3' setup in place so it was a very quick & simple process to add the RB feed to an existing working image.
'Option 4' would also be an excellent route if it ever gets written :-)
The upside of 3 & 4 is the free business/enterprise accounts one gets with these image providers. !!!

Peter

Runway 31

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 04:28:26 PM »
Glad to have you on board pellonet

Alan

wiedehopf

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 05:42:09 PM »
'Option 4' would also be an excellent route if it ever gets written :-)

While not written in the thread, there is a link to a thread detailing the instructions.

But i wouldn't recommend the FR24 image anyway, it is outdated and has some very strange read only mounting going on that is annoying.

If you want to use any RPi sd-card image with dump1090 preinstalled i would recommend the piaware image.

Runway 31

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 06:24:16 PM »
For my info, what does dump 1090 do please

Alan

wiedehopf

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 07:07:51 PM »
dump1090 takes raw samples (digitized waveform to put it simply) over USB from the rtl-sdr compatible SDR (software defined receiver) and receives and decodes ModeS messages.

Received ModeS messages are offered in several formats on network ports.
For example dump1090 provides beast protocol messages including timing information on port 30005.

It also decodes the messages and exports a json table every second which can be viewed via the supplied web interface.

Basically it is the software part of receiving messages with a rtl-sdr compatible receiver.
Other receivers like the ModeS Beast have the receiving in hardware instead of being split between software and hardware.

I had written more including some links but the forum spam controls didn't like me.

What receiver are you using? (for my curiosity)

Runway 31

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 07:25:09 PM »
Many thanks

I have several USB sticks, Flightstick, nooelec etc.  Was using an original radarbox but it went u/s.  I use Windows, don't know a thing about Linux.  I use the Radarbox V6 software which does my decoding for me.

Alan
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 07:27:50 PM by Runway 31 »

wiedehopf

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 07:31:13 PM »
Using a Raspberry Pi for dump1090 really isn't too hard.

But it involves quite a few steps from loading the image onto the sd-card to configuring it.

Doesn't necessitate really an Linux knowledge really.
Raspberry Pi stuff is really well described even for people who don't know anything about Linux.

If you have a Raspberry Pi lying around and want to give it a try then the piaware sd-card image is probably the easiest way to do it because the wifi configuration is a bit easier than on the default Raspbian image.
Also dump1090 is already installed.
(An sd-card image is basically just a big blob of data you write to the sd-card. Basically an already installed version of the operating system you just plug into the device)

A Raspberry Pi has the advantage of using very little power compared to most Windows machines. Quite some electricity bill savings.
Laptops can be quite efficient as well though powerwise.

How much local interface does the Radarbox windows application provide?
(Nevermind just found a few screenshots, very nice)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 07:34:41 PM by wiedehopf »

Runway 31

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 07:48:14 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I understand a wee bit on the Linux through yours an abcd's offering on this and other forums but I just wasn't sure what dump 1090 did.

I have the computer on anyway doing the Airnav aircraft and route database updating so the money saving aspect isn't an issue for me.  I usually have the V6 software running along with Planeplotter another 3 or four programmes and around 12 or so browser windows open over two screens.

Alan

MDA

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 09:40:48 PM »
IMO piaware is not a best choice. Better try adsb-receiver project image from Joe Prochazka. Automated setup of dump1090, feeders, local stats on Pi and many extras. RB feeder has to be added manually. WiFi setup on any Pi is easy. Just create file wpa_supplicant.conf on boot partition of SD card, open in text editor and paste following:
Code: [Select]
country=xx
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
    ssid="networkname"
    scan_ssid=1
    psk="netpassword"
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
Change xx to your country code (fe. US for USA),networkname and netpassword to yours, save.
Insert card into Pi and power on. WiFi will work.

N9NWO

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 01:17:56 PM »
got it working.  Had to set it to false

N9NWO

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 01:21:03 PM »

sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - http://apt.rb24.com/inst_rbfeeder.sh)"
I did this part ok so it was sharing but no data

I had to fix this

sudo rbfeeder --set-network-mode off --no-start

N9NWO

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 08:19:05 PM »
Got it working, thanks

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 12:16:49 AM »
For my info, what does dump 1090 do please

Alan

Dump1090 does following:

(1) Tunes the tuner chip of DVB-T (generic or Flightstick or ProStick or similar) to 1090 Mhz. It also sets demodulation parameters & gain of RF stages of dvb-t.

(2) Decodes the received signal

(3) Outputs decoded data in beast format on port 30005 and AVR on port 30003 for use by data-feeders.

(4) Generates the map which is displayed in a web browser with the help of lighttpd web server (which is installed alongwith dump1090).

Please see attached block diagram below. This is an old diagram which I prepared before radarbox24 Pi feeder was made available in April 2017, and hence does not show it. You can add one more box for rb24feed, like other data feeder boxes.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:47:10 AM by abcd567 »